Thoracic Ultrasound Lab
Conveniently located to serve Danville and Antioch
Thoracic ultrasound lab studies provide valuable imagery that aids in the diagnosis of cardiac and pulmonary conditions. At East Bay Cardiovascular and Thoracic Associates, our thoracic ultrasound lab in Danville has helped us accurately diagnose many patients and empower them to get the specialized treatment and care that they need.
What Is a Thoracic Ultrasound?
A thoracic ultrasound is also known as a lung ultrasound or chest sonography. This diagnostic procedure uses high-frequency sound waves to create pictures of your chest cavity, including your lungs, heart, esophagus, thymus, lymph nodes, and the interior wall of your chest. Our board-certified surgeons frequently use thoracic ultrasound images to assess pulmonary and cardiac health.
Do I Need a Thoracic Ultrasound?
In order to determine if a thoracic ultrasound is right for you, our specialists will perform an examination and speak with you about your medical history, symptoms, and concerns. A thoracic ultrasound may be recommended if you have the following symptoms:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Shallow breathing
- Rapid breathing
- Tightness of the chest
In some cases, additional tests may be recommended along with a thoracic ultrasound, such as x-rays, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), or a computerized tomography (CT) scan.
Advantages of a Thoracic Ultrasound
Thoracic ultrasound lab studies have some advantages over other diagnostics used to evaluate the chest area. Benefits of a thoracic ultrasound procedure include:
- Outpatient procedure
- Real-time results
- No need to ingest contrast dye
- No anesthesia or sedation necessary
- Safe for pregnant women
What Happens at a Thoracic Ultrasound Appointment?
Your procedure will be customized to meet your medical needs, and our team will explain any applicable special instructions before your ultrasound appointment. Most thoracic ultrasound appointments involve the following steps:
- You may be asked to remove clothing or other items that would interfere with the ultrasound.
- Our specialist will explain how you need to lay or sit on the exam table in order to get the best images. You may be directed to change positions throughout the procedure.
- A layer of gel will be applied to the skin over the area being examined so the wand-shaped transducer can easily glide across the area. The transducer directs sound waves at the structures and organs in your chest. The waves are reflected back to the transducer, and a computer processes that information into images.
- Once all necessary images are generated, the procedure is over.
The next step is for our specialist to analyze the images and discuss the results with you. From there, our team will work with you to develop a customized treatment plan that meets your needs.
Contact Us to Schedule a Thoracic Ultrasound Consultation
At East Bay Cardiovascular and Thoracic Associates, our thoracic ultrasound lab in Danville has allowed us to properly diagnose and treat countless patients. If you are experiencing cardiovascular or pulmonary illness, please contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our board-certified specialists.